Tuesday, September 20, 2011

back to the beginning

folks, it's about that time. the end is nigh! my two years in seoul is almost up and i'm on the prowl for a new job that will take me back stateside.

the plan? 

i'll move back to the states, get an architecture job, rack up my hours, get licensed, and then take a long hard look at my life and decide if i want to pursue something else or stay an architect. i know many of you are rooting for me to switch careers as soon as i get back ... but ... i need a safety net. i need to have a back-up plan. i figure, considering i went to school for 5 years for architecture, i should at least get licensed. i don't want all of that tuition money to go to waste, do i? i also am unsure if my unhappiness with architecture is due to my current environment (korean office, korean people, korean architecture ... korea in general) or the actual work itself. i think i'll give architecture one last chance.

phase one: research.
phase two: apply.
phase three: work on my portfolio.
phase four: interview. (hopefully!)
phase five: either repeat steps one, two, and four all over again or accept a position!

i spent most of my day researching firms i'd want to apply to. i'm currently looking for a job in new york city, san francisco, or chicago. does anyone have any contacts in any of these places that would be able to give me a bit more insight into the application process for their particular firms? i only know a few people in nyc and chicago and i know i'm going to need all the help i can get.

and ... that's as far as i've gotten. just the research. 

my plan is to have completed phase two by the beginning of next month. i need to start getting together my work samples, write a cover letter, and update my resume! there's only two weeks left till october! two weeks for all of that? mon dieu!

wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. My boss was roommates at Harvard GSD with the design principal at SOM Chicago if you're looking at larger firms again; and an associate principal at Murphy/Jahn used to work here.

    ReplyDelete